Sunday, December 20, 2009

Musical interlude

Songs that have meaning for me over the past year.
In no particular order.

Breathe
Taylor Swift ft. Colbie Caillat
This is my emo song. Gosh knows how many times I turn to this song whenever I'm feeling down and depressed. It's got the highest play count on my iTunes. Don't worry, I'm not a depressing person. Haha. The part that gets me every time is 'It's 2 a.m., feeling like I've just lost a friend, hope you know it's not easy, easy for me.'

Another Heart Calls
The All-American Rejects ft. The Pierces
Song about love that can't last. Haha. I love this because it reminded me of a couple of my characters. I don't get tired listening to it. 'We lie awake but dreaming till the sun will wash the sky.'

Thunder
Boys Like Girls
'Your voice was the soundtrack of my summer.' That's all I'll say about this. :)

Fireflies
Owl City
What can I say? I fell in love with it the moment I listened to it on a certain online artist's livejournal. It is such an adorable song. It makes me happy inside. 'It's hard to say that I'd rather stay awake when I'm asleep. 'Cause everything is never as it seems.'

Hijau
Zainal Abidin
Listening to this song makes me think of sunlight pouring through windows in a warm coloured classroom. It reminds me of sleepiness and to a certain extent, the smell of juggling balls. I think of everyone calling out 'mandi laut' at the top of their voices. There's a funny sort of feeling I get on the edges of this memory that I can't quite describe. This was the song they played everyday for a month during my first month in NS.

Fearless
Taylor Swift
Oh man I love this song. It lifts me up and puts me on a high. My favourite line is 'Run your hands through your hair, absent-mindedly making me want you.' It's so casual and sweet.

The Take Over, The Break's Over
Fall Out Boy
This song has been my ringtone for the past three years. I have yet to grow tired of it. Possibly my favourite song by FOB. 'We do it in the dark with smiles on our faces. We're dropped and well concealed in secret places. We don't fight fair.'

Mona Lisa
The All-American Rejects
Floofle, you know what this means. 'You can sit beside me when the world comes down.'

I Gotta Feeling
Black Eyed Peas
Singing loudly and off-key in the car. I've done this with so many people. Totally universal.

The Saltwater Room
Owl City
I think with a bit more work on this song as a music video it will drive me around the bend. But I still love this song to bits and pieces. 'So tell me darling do you wish we'd fall in love?'

Your Song
Kate Walsh
Of all the songs listed here I think this one is the one I listen to the least. But it hits way too close to home this year ... so I think it deserves to be here. 'Haven't you heard, I'm stuck on a verse. I'm stuck on a boy who fills me with joy.'

So that's it. This has been a ... musical year for me.
These are just a few of the songs that have made the biggest impact on me.
I've never listed so many songs for my year-end post before. Usually I have just one, or three at the most. Also I'm playing on the piano a lot ... haven't learned a new song in a while but I keep playing Love Story over and over again. I love playing that song, especially the bridge. It's pretty without even trying.

So thank you for the music, 2009.
:)
Here's to 2010 bringing more great tunes.
(*cough* and more of my favourite artists coming over here to perform *cough*)

No comments: