Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Word Shaker

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
I just spent fifteen minutes crying my eyes out as I finished the last couple of chapters of this book.
Seriously.
I've never cried so hard over a book before. I mean, I squeezed out a tear for A Walk To Remember and my eyes get misty over many other books but I had tears pouring down my face with this one.

So yeah. Pretty obvious that this isn't a book you want to read if you're feeling a little suicidal.

The story is narrated by Death and tells the story of Liesel Meminger, who is sent to live with foster parents during the time of Nazi Germany. She has to adjust to her new environment. She learns how to read from her foster father Hans Hubermann and that is how Death comes to know of her srtoy; she wrote it all down. I don't want to give an in-depth summary because I guess it's better to read it yourself.

I think I'll re-read it to see if I can pick up anything I missed the first time around. But not right now, I think I should look for something ridiculously cheerful. Or at least not so tragic. Hmmm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm currently reading The Book Thief, not quite finished with it yet. I'm almost afraid to finish it. I don't want to see the precious Himmel Street times end.
It is quite a wonderful book so far. I love the simple color and shape imagery. I now go around telling one of my friends he has hair like feathers~.

Ski said...

I get what you mean, like dreading the ending since that we already know that it doesn't end quite as happily as we'd like. :) And that phrase has to be one of my favourites from the entire book!