Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Graduasi


I graduated last week. It's only been a week but it feels like a whole other century ago, as so much has happened since then. For one thing, I'm writing this back in my bedroom in Bukit Jelutong. I really had no time to blog since I flew to Melbourne last week, so I'll slowly post up updates as time goes by. 

So, gaduation day. I woke up pretty early and ate a breakfast bar, then headed straight for Lynn's house with Fyra. Lynn is something of an amazing person when it comes to making us up, haha. She did our makeup and curled my hair before working on herself. I brought my tuna pasta bake for lunch, and we shared that. Nick dropped by at around 11am, so we hung out until it was time to head back to UniLodge. We hurried out, caught a bus, dropped our stuff off in our apartments then went straight to the Adelaide Convention Centre.


Fyra, Sammie and Sha had some issues with their registration, so Nick, Eric and I went ahead to get our robes and mortarboards. We met Lynn outside, so we got some photos in our bat gowns. That was pretty fun. The whole of the day was just one big photoshoot, and we were the star attractions, haha!


I'm really happy that everyone was dressed so colourfully. We looked gorgeous, haha! I can't stop looking at photos of ourselves at graduation, is that weird? I feel like I find my group of friends very attractive. We deserve our own TV series. The nice sitcom dramas, not the backstabbing emotional ones. These photos were taken before the actual ceremony, and soon parents started to arrive and we were ferried into the hall. 


We all got front row seats; how epic is that! I sat between Eric and another girl I wasn't familiar with, while Syaza and Nick were on her other side. I was a bit surprised by how early we were in the line-up. When they declared the ceremony starting, we were among the first to get up and move backstage, where a few people helped fix our robes and tilt our hats in the right direction. My heart rate was going crazy at this point, I was so nervous. Worrying about getting something wrong, or tripping over my own feet. 


In the end, it went well! My smile is perfectly genuine by the way, I was really excited. But I forgot to turn and smile for the cameras, so oh well. I could hear Mira cheering when my name was called. Speaking of names, the announcer had a really long pause before he said Papa's name, haha. But he got it right in the end. The man awarding the parchment commented on how happy I looked; I was pleased to find out that he said something different to each graduate, and I appreciate that effort. When I got down from the stage, Fyra and Eric were ahead of me, so we all sort of ran into each other, trying to muffle our gleeful squeaking. The rest of the ceremony went by really slowly, and it was honestly kinda boring. 


Once all the formalities were over, we went out to take a million pictures! Here is an obligatory shot of us throwing our mortarboards into the air, haha. We did this a few times, didn't get any fabulous photos, but at least it was something. There were families everywhere, and I was smiling so much that my cheekbones hurt. 


I can't seem to find the photo that Sha helped take of the whole family, so here is one with just me and the kids. :D


We got a bit of a surprise a bit later - Shinta turned up with Artha! Or rather, a cardboard cutout of him. He told Fyra that he would be at our graduation, and we thought he was kidding but he wasn't! He actually made the cardboard cutout of himself just before he left for Jakarta a few weeks back so he could be in our graduation photos. Hilarious guy, I tell you. We had some fun taking pictures with him for a while before the cardboard started to disintegrate. There were ten different cameras snapping at us during this time, which is why none of us are looking at this camera.


Check us out. The entire Adelaide family, sans Nigel and including Sammie's Nick. This was taken by Matt after we returned our robes (we were only allowed to wear it for an hour after the ceremony ended). Most of the families had left by then, so it was just us taking a last bunch of photos before we would part ways. This would be the last time we were all together in one place - even during the dinner the day after, Sammie was absent. 

I'm thankful for this opportunity I had, of graduating in Australia with my nearest and dearest friends and family. It's been an amazing year, and I'm grateful to my parents for giving me the chance to go to Adelaide, and to all my friends there who are seriously the best I can ever ask for. These friends are family to me, and I can only hope that we stay in touch in the years to come. 

1 comment:

N.W. said...

Of course you had to pick the retarded pics of me. <_<