Thursday, December 27, 2012

Big City Melbourne: Travel Time


Now I've talked about graduation, let's roll backwards a few days to the family trip to Melbourne. They reached the city at about 9am, while I boarded the plane from Adelaide at 9.30am. I bumped into my former classmate Haikal and his girlfriend at the airport, which was a pleasant surprise. Nick saw me off at the bus stop in Adelaide, and off I was onto my second ever solo flight. 

There were no complications at all for me; reached the airport with time to spare, checked in, got on the flight, landed in about an hour. It was a pretty shaky flight though, and I felt like puking a few times but it was bearable. I was pleasantly surprised to find that we could watch TV channels on the in-flight screens, so I wasn't bored. I caught a SkyBus from the airport into the city, which took about 20 minutes. 


My destination was supposed to be Medina Executive in South Yarra - I found the train heading there with three minutes to spare, so I sprinted across the train station, backpack and carry-on luggage in tow.  The train ride was another ten minutes, and I had to find an information counter to find out how to get to the hotel. It was further than I expected. I walked, and walked, and walked and walked, and just as I wondered if I was even going in the right direction, I found it!

At this point: Good news, I found the apartment. Bad news, the family wasn't there. I called Papa and he said they were at a place called Lord of the Fries on Chapel Street. I asked for directions. He said, turn left out of the hotel, then left at the main road, turn onto Chapel Street and walk and walk and walk until you wanna die.

I thought he was being overly dramatic. Oh, how wrong I was. 

The walk there took me about a half hour. By that time, my lousy Rubi shoes were falling apart, and I vowed never to spend more than $5 on a pair of Rubi shoes ever again. I didn't feel like dying yet - just really hungry. I hadn't had anything but two breakfast bars since I woke up. Finally, Mira and Hanna came barreling into me, signaling the end of my very long transit from Adelaide to my family. 


Lord of the Fries was really good! I had a chicken burger. It wasn't until the next day that we realised that everything there is vegetarian. Even then, Mama wouldn't believe me when I told her. Haha! This was one of the highlights of the Melbourne trip. After lunch the kids and I got Ben and Jerry's ice cream. I got the chunky monkey, banana flavoured ice cream with chopped walnuts and chocolate chunks. It was really good. Then we visited Papa's friend, Melvin's office. That was pretty cool - he designs cases and covers for phones and tablets. 

When we headed back to the apartment, I was introduced to Goldie, the fish who lives on the reception counter. He has his very own name tag. The apartment we got was really nice and cosy. I wrote about it here on WeekendNotes


The rest of the day wasn't very eventful. We tried to get used to the public transport, but I prefer Adelaide's much more. We went to Harbourtown but Mama got hungry, so we tried a Malaysian restaurant on Lonsdale St called Madam Kay's Platz Cafe, which was surprisingly good! I wrote about it on WeekendNotes as well. Click here to read. :3 It was the best cantonese kuey teow I've had in Australia so far.

The rest of the first day was pretty much just hanging around the apartment, watching horror movies.This post is getting kinda long, so I'll save days two and three for another post. 

No comments: