Friday, September 4, 2015

Selamat Hari Merdekayak



Earlier this year, I received a kayak for my (belated) birthday, from Papa. Definitely one of the best birthday presents I have ever gotten in my entire life! The model is an Eddyline Skylark, a beautiful single-seater in gorgeous red. Anybody who knows anything about me will know my affinity for the colour red. I've been taking Ruby (yes, very creative name) out for paddles around the lake nearby, and it's a very peaceful activity. I'm looking forward to taking her out to somewhere a bit more adventurous.


For a while now, I've been wanting to share this experience. So for this year's 58th Hari Kemerdekaan (now rebranded as Hari Kebangsaan), Nick, Sammie, Nigel and I decided to have what we titled Merdekayak!

The weather has been hazy and unpredictable the past week or so, and I was hoping very very hard that it would not rain nor be overly hazy. Amazingly, the weather was great for kayaking - not hot at all, no rain (though the sky seemed to threaten it) and a slight breeze.


Nigel's old friend Jordan was visiting from Aussie, so he helped out a lot, along with Hanna who came down from the house. We took four of the kayaks down - my Ruby, Mama's Skylark, Papa's Journey and the Point 65 Martini. As always, set up takes a lot of time. But it was great to finally push off from the ledge.


All in all, we had about an hour of kayaking, which was pretty good. We paddled around, Nick, Sammie and Nigel went into the storm drain, we had a race! Sammie won, in my lovely Ruby. I was in the Martini that day, and really should have attempted the storm drain too - it's smaller so that makes it easier to turn around in the cramped space. Maybe next time. Check out the video Nick put together below!


We ended the day with a barbeque dinner, with Nazim as chef. It was all very delicious! Mama made some potato gratin to go with the meats, and Sammie brought an apple crumble. Good company, good food and a good evening kayaking with awesome people.



Happy independence day my beloved Malaysia! Things are rough lately, and the people at the top are questionable to say the least, but you are home. Here is to brighter days in future.

No comments: